Saturday, May 4, 2013

Homemade New York-Style Bagels

.........And then I became the person who makes their own bagels. I was NOT this kind of person before. I never cooked, let alone baked, and now here I am hand kneading dough for bagels. WHAT HAPPENED?!!?!

Nik (husband) is semi picky when it comes to his breakfasts. He is not a huge breakfast person, and does not believe that cereal is an actual food. I however, insist that he eats breakfast. Everyone should eat breakfast, it's so important. Anyways, one thing that he will eat is a bagel. The bagels from the grocery store are mehhhh and they cost way too much to taste like mehhh, so I got the bright idea to just make them myself. I found a super simple recipe here and was pleasantly surprised with how they turned out. Nik has now declared that we never buy bagels again......looks like I will be kneading dough once a week. What a great arm workout though!!

This dough, as simple as it may look, took a while to get it that way. My arms were definitely burning afterwards. 

                            
Sectioning off the dough to form into individual bagels. I did not weigh them to be precise, although maybe I should have since I ended up with some pretty interestingly sized bagels. Oh well, small ones for Mila and the big ones for Nik. 

                            
One lonely bagel......

                            

A silly looking bagel and a silly looking me, but hey....I'm proud of that silly looking bagel!! 



****Excuse my poor photography. I guess if I am going to be taking pictures of my food, maybe I should actually learn how to use my camera....I've only had it since I was 17. It may be time to read the manual....



No comments:

Post a Comment