Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Most Delicious Carrot Soup You Could Ever Imagine

I know that title may not have brought a lot of people any excitement. I know how most people feel about vegetables. Not huge fans....Will eat some, but only in certain ways. I used to be one of those people. I used to loathe vegetables. There were multiple, FANCY family dinners that I spit tons of vegetables into my napkin, only for it to be found later when my mom did the laundry because they were clothe napkins---like I said, FANCY. Since becoming a vegetarian, or maybe just an adult, I have found that I actually love vegetables. And not just in the plain green beans next to my mashed potatoes way, but I could make entire meals out of yummy vegetables---DUHH, I'm a veg!

Anyways, I have been trying to make sure that we eat all of our perishable food before Sunday (we are going to Bulgaria for 2 weeks, so food will go bad) and I had a bag of carrots that needed to be eaten, so I came up with this simple recipe. Honestly, I am no genius. This is a recipe that could be altered to so many different vegetables and other add-ins. But even though it is simple, it packs a lot of flavor.

And no, it does not have a huge carrot taste for everyone wondering. It doesn't taste like carrot juice, because if it did, I probably wouldn't like it. It tastes like deliciousness that you can prepare in 30 minutes and feed to your whole family, baby included, and know that they are getting great nutrients =)

Carrot and Pepper Soup
Ingredients:
1 pound of carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, seeds removed and chopped
1 onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped (this really just depends on your liking for garlic)
3 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
a dash of curry powder (or if you're like me, a couple dashes)
a dash of ground mustard
salt and pepper to taste


^Carrots, red pepper and ginger root!! Ginger is so good.
If you have never tried to cook with it, I urge you to. I
was once afraid of it, but now I try to throw it in everything =)
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, sautee onion and garlic in olive oil. Add carrots, pepper, curry and mustard and cook only for a minute or two, just to get the flavors going. Add vegetable broth and ginger, and bring it all to a boil. Simmer and cover for about 15 minutes. Check to see that the carrots and peppers are soft by sticking a couple pieces with a fork.

^^Big ole' pot of veggies. Just what I like to see!
2. Let it cool slightly, then blend in batches, being sure not to fill blender the whole way. I recommend about half way, just to make sure it all gets blended well and doesn't over flow hot soup on you. OUCH!! <<I've done that.

3. Once everything is blended, add the yogurt. The amount you add is up to you, just depends on how creamy you would want it, but I like to add at least the 1/4 cup because it's protein!! Then taste, and add salt and pepper if you would like.
^^^Finished product, paired with roasted garlic potatoes and a tall glass of
water, because what else would I be drinking. Always hydrating! 

See how easy that is!!! Honestly, everyone could do that. It takes NO time (well, maybe a little) and it's easy on the bank too. A pound of carrots was 79 cents at my grocery store. I cannot complain with that!


** On a side note, I ran 6 miles while pushing Mila at a 8:10 pace. That really isn't that fast, but if I could hold that for 26.2 miles, I could qualify for Boston!! Let's hope the next 6 months of training make that happen!



No comments:

Post a Comment